Even without advertising that I used to be an almost competitive sprinter based in a state with no track and the closest one was over 5 hours away, it seems that I end up answering this question at least a few times a year. This time I’m answering it to the world both out of laziness to avoid future typing and if we’re lucky to help inspire a potential sprinter or two with no track and no one to ask. Most of this isn't hard to figure out and much is very similar to what you could do if you did live near a track, but trying to figure it all out at once seems to be just enough to make it seem harder then it is and to discourage some.
As someone who finds myself often doing the bike commute to work with more ‘stuff’ then the average commuter* and as a nerd who needs to look presentable at work but very rarely needs to actually dress up for the office I found myself in the market for a shoe that I could ride to work in and then wear all day at work without looking like crap. I’ve tried on quite a few cycling shoes of various varieties in my life and most that try to fulfill dual purposes fall painfully short on at least one of their goals. All of the previous shoes like these that I have owned or tried where either too stiff to walk comfortably in, had too much cleat exposed or were too flexible to get much power transfer out of on the bike. These do both quite well, on the bike they arguably flex less then an average entry-level road shoe would but yet are comfortable enough to walk in that I sometimes forget that I’m not wearing normal shoes even when walking a mile or more.
Putting them to the test in the real world
These shoes are significantly water resistant and are noticeably warmer then any other shoe I’ve used in the cold (but I’ve never broken down and used full cold weather cycling boots). Granted this winter has been a bit of a wimpy winter as far as the normally crappy Chicago wither weather goes, but in combination with a quality warm sock (usually smartwool) I’ve used them in various combinations of cold, wind, rain, snow and slop yet unlike the rest of me in all cases my feet stayed warm and dry.
They also have thus far shown no visible harm by the salt, road gunk and other crap that they end up covered in and they clean up easily with a damp towel to quickly be presentable at work. I’ve only had them a few months so it’s too early to say for sure how well these hold up over time, but they still appear basically new so I’m hopeful that these to last quite a while.
After sticking to native for any mobile development for a while, and doing quite a bit of non mobile work lately, I semi recently found myself in the position to give Appcelerator another try. All of my previous experience with it had been from the perspective of bug fixing already started apps. This project marked my first chance to start an Appcelerator project with a clean slate and I was excited to give it a more fair chance. From the projects that I’ve encountered in the past it was apparent that out of the box Appcelerator makes it easy for less experienced and/or less anal developers to just lump all of their code all together into an interesting pile of long hard to read code with no clear separation of concerns and then proceed to fall into all of the standard traps of doing so.
After a quick (likely mid foosball) conversation on the topic with my Productive Edge coworker Ed Lafoy, who has been doing a healthy bit of significantly nice looking Appcelerator work lately, he quickly pointed me to a blog post by the author of Appcelerator-on-rails and associated github project. This quickly proved to be a sufficient simple option for easily splitting things up a bit into more logical order with decent separation of concerns. Even this simple separation was enough to greatly improve the appcelerator development experience. My first concern was that the project in github had not been updated in nearly a year with several outstanding reported bugs with no posted solutions which had me concerned about getting hooked on a dead project. Fortunately after posting solutions to some of the open issues the original owner of the project was very quick to respond and merge in the fixes which eased my concerns. If using appcelerator I definitely suggest at least trying this out.